Skip to content | Accessibility help | Privacy and cookies | Sitemap | Advanced search

Photo 1: Book of adverts: Lloyds Bank installed a temporary branch at the site of the London 1948 Olympic Games. It offered the usual banking services, and was staffed by linguists.

Photo 2: The manager of Lloyds Bank’s Teddington branch was responsible for ensuring that the Olympic Flame remained alight. He followed the torch bearers in his Morris Minor, from Kent to Wembley, with a hurricane lamp, whose flame had been burning continuously since leaving Greece, several weeks earlier. Should any Torch fail, it could be relit from the lamp

On loan by Lloyds Banking Group Archives

Project menu

Share this